1 an annoying or frustrating or catastrophic event; "his mother-in-law's visits were a great trial for him"; "life is full of tribulations"; "a visitation of the plague" [syn: trial, tribulation]
2 any disaster or catastrophe; "a visitation of the plague"
3 an official visit for inspection or supervision; "the commissioner made visitations to all the precinct stations"; "the recent visitation of the bishop to his diocese"
Visitation may refer to:
- In United States Law, the term for the right of a non-custodial parent to visit with their children, elsewhere known as Contact (law)
- An official visit, usually for purposes of inspection, and the record of that visit. Both in English and Spanish (colonial) history.
- a Funeral Visitation, in the United States and Canada, a funeral custom where a mourner visits the deceased person's family and views the body lying in the casket, either at a funeral home or church.
- Heraldic visitations were made to establish the right of a person to bear arms, and are used today in genealogical research.
In popular culture:
- The Visitation (film) a 2006 film based upon the above book.
- Supernatural Visitation, an experience of presence or communication between the recently deceased and their spouse or progeny
visitation in French: Visitation
visitation in Croatian: Vizitacija (razdvojba)
Jacksonian epilepsy, Rolandic epilepsy, abdominal epilepsy, access, acquired epilepsy, activated epilepsy, affect epilepsy, affliction, akinetic epilepsy, apoplexy, arrest, attack, autonomic epilepsy, bane, blight, blockage, bugbear, burden, calamity, call, calling, calvary, cardiac epilepsy, cataclysm, catastrophe, clonic spasm, clonus, convulsion, cortical epilepsy, cramp, cross, crucible, crushing burden, curse, cursive epilepsy, death, destruction, disaster, disease, diurnal epilepsy, duty visit, eclampsia, epilepsia, epilepsia gravior, epilepsia major, epilepsia minor, epilepsia mitior, epilepsia nutans, epilepsia tarda, epilepsy, evil, examination, falling sickness, fit, focal epilepsy, formal visit, frenzy, grand mal, grievance, harm, haute mal, hysterical epilepsy, ictus, infliction, inspection, larval epilepsy, laryngeal epilepsy, laryngospasm, latent epilepsy, lockjaw, mad round, matutinal epilepsy, menstrual epilepsy, mischance, musicogenic epilepsy, myoclonous epilepsy, nemesis, nocturnal epilepsy, occlusion, open wound, ordeal, overhaul, overhauling, paroxysm, perlustration, perusal, pest, pestilence, petit mal, physiologic epilepsy, plague, psychic epilepsy, psychomotor epilepsy, punishment, quality control, reflex epilepsy, required visit, review, rotatoria, run-through, running sore, scan, scourge, scrutiny, seizure, sensory epilepsy, serial epilepsy, social call, social round, social whirl, sojourning, spasm, staying, stoppage, stroke, study, survey, tardy epilepsy, tetanus, tetany, thorn, throes, thromboembolism, thrombosis, tonic epilepsy, tonic spasm, torment, torsion spasm, tragedy, traumatic epilepsy, trial, tribulation, trismus, ucinate epilepsy, vexation, visit, visiting, woe